Raven Symoné

Raven Symoné

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

H3M!NGW@Y!!!

Hemingway has a very distinct writing style exemplified in all of his work, but specifically The Sun Also Rises. Hemingway's style is focused on the realm of prose, which means written in an ordinary form without a metrical structure. Hemingway takes a very modern approach to writing, which is seen through the next few specifics found throughout The Sun Also Rises. Initially, he uses limited words in the dictionary of his novels. He speaks about this in the book, when Jake tells us "The English spoken language... must have fewer words than the Eskimo...The English talked with...One phrase to mean everything...I liked the way they talked" (Hemingway 149). This is ironically, how he felt, and Hemingway managed to communicate effectively using very few words. Hemingway also employed very short sentences, such as "It was a fine morning"  (Hemingway 35). The pattern of keeping short sentences continued throughout the book, furthering his radically modern approach to writing, unique during his time. Lastly, his lack of clarity between sentences is something very unique to him. Often, Hemingway would imply the relationship between two sentences, forcing readers to be active: "The wine was good. I drank much of it" (Hemingway 180). Furthermore, Hemingway's detached storytelling represents Jake, Mike, and Brett's world, once meaningful and now disconnected completely full of debauchery and nonsense. All of these style elements Hemingway employed represents his unique and modern style, one of the first of its kind.
______________________
"Happy birthday Jake!" Oh god. I hate birthdays. I don't really like being the center of attention. Robert Cohn on the other hand, he couldn't handle not being talked to or talked about for two seconds. "You know, Jake. This reminds me of the one time I brought a cake to school. Everyone liked it, it was so flavorful..." Robert said a little louder than necessary. Everyone sighed, including Brett, who Cohn loves but Brett can't stand him. Now Cohn gets quiet! I like chocolate birthday cake. I wish my mom wouldn't take so many damn pictures. "Turn off the damn flash...for the love of god..." I yelled. Whatever. It's my party, I can yell if I want to. Having them at my party was nice, along with Bill and Mike. Brett's great. Robert is tolerable. I can't believe i'm eighteen. It feels like just yesterday I was running around, playing with action figures. "Shut up, Robert" I yelled. "What, why?" he responded. I ignored him. The sight of him can really piss me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment